Monday, May 17, 2010

MY NAME!!!!


My name is Emilie Marie Pollard. It’s who I’ve always been and who I will always be. Emilie comes from a French origin and means eager, ambitious and industrious. Marie is the French form of Mary and means wished for child, star of the sea, or bitter sea. Pollard is an English name that means either a knight with a broad sword, a tree that is trimmed to have a flat top, or a type of hair cut that students at oxford had during the middle ages. In French, Pollard (or Poularde) may also mean a fat chicken.

In my family it is a tradition that kids are named after their grandparents. Emilie (or Emily) came from both of my grandmothers and Marie came from my mom and my great Aunt. I think it’s really cool to be named after people from my families history and to be able to carry on the good things that these people lived for. On the other hand, this tradition may be related to a total lack of creativity in my family, which makes it completely impossible for them to think of new names.

Some may say my name suits me others may disagree. I personally think it does in some ways, but it also doesn’t. The question I have for you is this: do you think my name suits me? Is there a better name that might suit me? Can you come up with three new possibilities? If I translate my name from the language and culture of origin, it would be – Eager wished for child fat chicken.


I commented on Alex Garcia's blog.

2 comments:

  1. good blog, i like how you said the pros and cons of getting named after people in your family. very strong conlusion.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ahahaha a fat chicken!! i really liked this blog. How you explained every one of your names added a lot of emphasis to it. very good job!!

    ReplyDelete